My Favorite LOST Clips

07 March 2009

Sizing Up "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"

It was the best episode so far this season. It was the best episode in many seasons. By my count, it was the best episode in 86 swings of those white letters "LOST" amidst a black screen and that eerily delectable screeching sound.

For those that are curious, here's my running tally of the five greatest LOST episodes of all-time (subject to change, of course):

#5 - "Greatest Hits" (Episode #321; I was never a huge Charlie fan, but this episode about the greatest moments in his life and his willingness to sacrifice himself for everyone else was probably one of the most emotionally-charged episodes ever.)

#4 - "Exodus, Part II" (Episode #122; LOST's first finale. I'll never forget those WHAT-THE-#$*% feelings as Walt was stolen away on that boat and as we peered down into our first ever Dharma hatch, not knowing what in the world would be inside for several more months. These were the days!)

#3 - "Through the Looking Glass" (Episode #322; Season three's finale. A crusade against the Others! ZOMG FLASH-FORWARDS! MYSTERY COFFIN! "WE HAVE TO GO BAAAAAACK!" Purely epic.)

#2 - "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" (Episode #507; as this post will explain)

#1 - "Walkabout" (Episode #104; John Locke was in a frikin WHEELCHAIR! Nobody totally saw that coming. It was the episode that first pulled me into the power of this show. It hasn't ever let me go since.)

So let us consider the things that made this ninetieth episode of LOST so amazing.

I liked the opening of the episode with Ceasar and Illana (who?) in a darkened Dharma station. I wasn't too big on Locke "de-cloaking" himself after Ceasar asked for his name though. A little hyper-dramatic, I think (especially considering that we already knew he was to be resurrected based on the previews [and even without them]). But eh, that random cloak puts him right up there with Obi-Wan Kenobi as my favorite cloaked film/television characters of all time.

I'll be sure to formulate a top-5 for Favorite Cloaked Characters too.

"You asked me what I remember...I remember dying."

Truly one of the greatest things to ever come out of John Locke's mouth. And I loved his eating of the mango! John Locke + fruit = money. Every time.



See?

This scene on the shore showed Locke looking OUT at "the" island, so obviously Flight 316 landed on the small "Alcatraz" next to "the" island (where all those polar bear cages and everything are). Interesting that they'd crash there...

Can I just say that Charles Widmore is amazing? All this time we've been led (albeit through Ben's eyes) that he's this big, evil uber-villain...and here we see him having the pleasantest of conversations with Locke. I expected him to offer him some Earl Grey tea and a blueberry scone.

"There's a war coming, John. And if you're not back on that island when it happens, the wrong side is going to win."

So what is, pray tell, "the right side"? Is Ben "good," or is Widmore? My thought: neither is. I think they both want control of the island to themselves and the only true hope for the island sits with John Locke. But that's just me. Clearly this conversation was meant to steer us more toward the middle of this debate since over the past season or so we've been fed by Ben (again, by Ben) that Widmore is the bad guy.

And plus, Ben frikin strangled Locke. That helps make him look pretty bad himself.

Sayid speaks Spanish?! That's almost as shocking / borderline-ridiculous as Charlotte speaking Korean.

I loved that Abaddon played a much larger role in this episode than he's done in his other spot appearances on the show. He just has this amazing, dark aura about him (I promise that's not racist). If I ever have a personal chauffeur in a limousine (which, I mean, is a given for me someday), I want a Matthew Abaddon.

I absolutely LOVED the quick line he said to Locke when they were in New York and they saw Walt coming out of school.

"Boy's gotten big."

Little line; huge possibilities. I mentioned in one of my prior posts that the sexy theory out there is that Abaddon is indeed Walt - though of the Future Variety. Whether he really is or isn't, this line was absolutely written by the writers in response to all these theories. Either it's just a throwaway line intended to make us all astir...or it has actual meaning. Because how would Abaddon know what Walt used to look like?! Only if he was actually looking at HIMSELF, of course! After that line he then says something to John to the effect of, "I'll give you two some privacy" as he steps away. Interesting, interesting...



I was shocked (and sad) to see Abaddon meet an untimely end at the cemetery. A great place to die though as it saves a lot of the travel expenses in getting into the ground.

The acting in this episode was extraordinary. LOST has been blessed from the beginning with incredible acting, and this episode exemplified it perfectly. I've already mentioned that great interaction between Locke and Widmore at the start; well, there were plenty of other great conversations as well.

Listening to Locke tell his heartbreaking tale of Helen with Kate was amazing. This is why I love Locke! The way the camera slowly pans in on him, the way he contorts his face and says he was "obsessed"...the way Kate solemnly states, "Look how far you've come." Really heart-wrenching stuff.



Now, moving on to the conversation Locke had with Mr. I'll Never Believe: Jack. Re-live it with me...



I've never been a huge Jack fan. And that's basically since I've always been a huge Locke fan. Jack has always - for over four seasons - been Locke's counterpart. The staunch unbelief to Locke's faith. The accident to Locke's destiny. The miracles-can't-ever-happen-even-though-my-former-wife-was-suddenly-able-to-walk-again to Locke's absolutely-I-believe-in-miracles-because-I'M-FLIPPIN-WALKING-AGAIN.

But as of the airing of this episode...I have become a Jack fan. Yes, yes, I've been converted. The end is near. We saw him become "born again" the week before after Ben talked with him about Doubting Thomas (in a church, of all places...), but I loved seeing the exact MOMENT when it all started happening for Jack (he bought a plane ticket to Sydney later that day, according to Ben). Amazing kudos to Matthew Fox for this scene, because I was totally sold on it. The semi-slurred speech, the anger in his eyes, that pause as he walked away from Locke, and how he blinked his eyes when John said, "Your father says hello." Loved it. It's in my top scenes of all-time, for sure (definitely a much longer list than five items though!).

What a great cap to the episode with John's would-be suicide scene. All along I never seriously thought he actually committed suicide. Because...really? The savior for the island, for all these people, committing suicide? It just didn't fit right in my mind. And sure enough, just as Locke is about to step off and let gravity do its job...Ben shows up.

I don't know entirely what to make of the scene. Would it have been a "mortal sin" for Locke to commit suicide, and then his body wouldn't have resurrected upon his re-arrival to the island? Perhaps. Did Ben know all this, so that's why he talked him down, and later strangled him himself? Maybe so. When Jack asked Ben at one point if Locke was "really dead," Ben froze for a second and then just changed the subject. So why did Ben give a seemingly genuine "goodbye" to Locke as he hung limply from the ceiling, if he knew he'd rise again? I'm "hung up" myself on that one. Ben's had some dastardly moments on the show, and that moment definitely ranks right at the top. I'm eager to see how his and Locke's first meeting on the island will go. What do you really say to a guy you've strangled to death (and also shot / left for dead in the Dharma Pit)? I don't think there's a "MAKING GOOD WITH THE GUY YOU KILLED, FOR DUMMIES" out there anywhere.

All in all, a spectacular episode. Hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did! A "LaFleur" recap will be coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment